Project at a Glance:
Customer: Vodokanal St. Petersburg and St. Petersburg State University
Project Value: $106M
Status: completed in 2011
Segment: water treatment
Main Benefit: improvement of water quality which is supplied to residents city of St. Petersburg
TAHAL in JV with ZAO Vodokanalstroy was hired by MUP Vodokanal St. Petersburg, the supplier of potable water to the city of 5 million people, to establish new facilities at the Yuzhnaya water treatment plant. The project included a development, detailed design, and construction and commissioning for a new treatment plant with a nominal capacity of 350,000 m3/day.
The treatment plant compromised the following components: connecting to the existing raw water system; pre-ozonation; clarification; filtration; air- and water-based backwashing of filters; waste backwash water compensation, treatment and recovery; sludge treatment; storage, preparation and dosing of chemicals; disinfection with chloramines; and SCADA-based process control.
Specific project activities conducted by TAHAL included:
• Design for State Russian Expertise and detailed design for Construction
• Construction Management
• Supply of the key technological equipment
• Automation and SCADA system
• Commissioning and putting into operation of the whole facility
- Increased water supply availability and reliability for area residents
- Improved water quality